- Cody the Caterpillar is very hungry. She eats 5 leaves and then another 4. How many leaves has she eaten altogether?
- Cody is flying to a red flower with 9 of her friends but 4 friends decide to fly to a blue flower instead. How many butterflies go to the red flower?
- If Cody collects 10 leaves and eats 3 of them how many does she have left?
What other problems can you think of?
Can you write a number sentence for each problem?
Can you draw pictures to help you work out the answers?
- Do you need to add or subtract/takeaway? How do you know? What words in the problem are used to tell you this?
- What is the important information? (The numbers, whether it asks how many altogether, how many left etc? )